Das Volks Vintage Volkswagen Gruppe

Long Island's source for the aircooled Volkswagen Hobby

'73/1500

Have a quick question, not related to your project? Post in here!
Forum rules
This forum is specifically intended for you to post generic questions related to a repair.

If your question is specific to a project, or your VW please post in your VW's Garage Space.

Re: '73/1500

Postby ObnoxiousBlue » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:43 pm

Kermit wrote:I totally expected that link to lead to a KY sale page.

Amateur... PSH, there's way better stuff than KY...
ObnoxiousBlue
Site Admin

First Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 1977
Model: Bus

Postby Glenn » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:45 pm

ObnoxiousBlue wrote:
Kermit wrote:I totally expected that link to lead to a KY sale page.

Amateur... PSH, there's way better stuff than KY...

A$A& Lube?
Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine

"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

iRide4Sue.org Please Donate to fight Cancer. $27,000 raised in 2017
Glenn

First Name: Glenn
Vehicle Year: 1974
Model: Beetle

Postby Brown » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:39 am

D-A-N wrote:Does anyone have a preferred assembly lube or at least one they'd recommend to someone building an engine in a spare room in their apartment? In other words not motor oil?

I like your style!!!
"THE BLEEDER"
Brown

First Name: Ken

Postby Raj » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:15 pm

Dan,

Lets see some pics of this build bud!
Glenn wrote:I have to say, this "gruppe" is so much more than just a car club.

MrBreeze wrote:This is the DVG board. The threads flow as they flow.
Deal with it.
Raj

Postby D-A-N » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:16 pm

Shoot....I don't know how it happened but I didn't get any email notifications that all those lube posts showed up. I'm 10 days late to all the fun. :(

In the end I went with this after reading about the zinc and ZDDP content and it has that Brad Penn green tint to it....this ain't for personal use

http://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-10152-Assembly-Lube/dp/B000WJ3M6I/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1350352819&sr=1-1&keywords=lucas+assembly+lube

I'm not gonna lie....I've been wimpy about putting this engine together. Everyday I look at everything, move it around on the work table and then go do something else.

So far, I've washed and sprayed and soaked the case in the kitchen sink, the shower, the bathtub, and on the sidewalk with a hose. There might be maybe 50 small metal flakes left in crevasses at the base of studs and whatnot. Should I keep cleaning?

Also, I tried out the main bearings for size. I also tried to "index" the oil holes in the bearings relative to the oil holes in the case. Here's what I've got for #2....the green dot is the hole in the bearing. Seems in line with the case hole

On #3, it looks a little off.....much more than this picture suggests. Don't want to "cook" a bearing. What do you think?

Is that oxidation on the bearing saddles okay? Looks the same on the cam bearing saddles. It's a new case so it was never all shiny like a freshly align bored case was but I just want to be sure.

Finally, here are 3 of the 4 bearings....they're a little scuffed up from test fitting and they're NOS VW so they've rattled around in their box for a while. They look okay? I want to get MOVING!

D-A-N

First Name: Daniel

Postby Glenn » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:44 pm

Glenn

Glenn

Postby D-A-N » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:10 am

Thanks for that Glenn.

Looks like I've got me some measuring to do!
D-A-N

Postby Glenn » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:43 am

You don't have to be that anal.
Glenn

Glenn

Postby D-A-N » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:47 am

Glenn wrote:You don't have to be that anal.

I'm trying to think of how to answer this without walking right into a lube joke but.....

Since this is my first time building an engine, I guess I'm trying to figure out just how "anal" to be about measurements and clearances, etc. without driving myself crazy.
D-A-N

Postby Glenn » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:17 am

It depends if your building a stock or a race engine.

I generally ensure that the oil holes line up with the bearings and the oil pump. On a rebuild I let the machine shop check the case, crank and rods to ensure they are OK. For a new engine I buy my parts from a engine builder and have them ensure the parts are ready to be used. It's more efficient to have a "pro" check them out than to stress myself by trying to save a few bucks.

So far this has worked for me, over 2 dozen engines built and not a single premature failure.
Glenn

Glenn

Postby D-A-N » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:59 pm

Makes sense to me. I got all my parts from different places (CB Performance, ACN, DPR, etc.) so there was never any one "pro" to look at everything at once.

I'd rather bring it to somebody or ship it to somebody to have a look than buy a bunch of expensive depth gauges and specialized micrometers that I might only use once.

That said, anyone in mind?
D-A-N

Postby Glenn » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:27 pm

Geno at the Head Shop in Amityville.

Here's his topic in the Shop forum: The Head Shop
Glenn

Glenn

Postby D-A-N » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:57 pm

Glenn wrote:Geno at the Head Shop in Amityville.

Many thanks Glenn....I'll reach out to Geno then. Funny that I also just caught this thread on TS about new Brazilian cases.....seems some irregularities are the norm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=531619&start=0
D-A-N

Postby D-A-N » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:35 pm

I gave Gino a call the other day.....he was friendly, knowledgeable about VW stuff, and interested in doing some work. I'm going to bring my stuff out to him next Friday. Thanks for the tip Glenn.

On a totally unrelated note, we were coming home the other night when we saw this out in the trash. Am I crazy or is this a 74 & up left rear fender? It's not visible in the picture, but it says "Mexico" near the upper right screw hole for the taillight housing

D-A-N

Postby Raj » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:40 pm

D-A-N wrote:

thats awesome!

Deal with it.
Raj

Postby D-A-N » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:47 pm

I thought so too......especially because this was on the next block over from us and there isn't another bug around for miles. So why would someone have no bug, but a single fender....and then get rid of it, you know?
D-A-N

Postby Big_kid » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:44 pm

They got rid of it because they no longer have a beetle!
Charlie in Va Beach (Coram Escapee)
Big_kid

Postby Kermit » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:10 pm

I bet it was just wall art to someone who didn't feel like selling it.
Glenn wrote:DVG, we see all.
Kermit

First Name: Kermit
Vehicle Year: 1969

Postby D-A-N » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:53 am

Glenn wrote:Geno at the Head Shop in Amityville.

I'm about 7 months late with an update about my experience with Geno and the state of the engine build :oops: I hope it's been a good (or at least good enough) 7 months for everyone.....it's gone by quickly which means I must be getting older. But that's another story....

In general, the experience with Geno was a good one: his work was good and he had a lot of stories about racing back in the day. The only "issue" was that he was a little "out of touch". He talked about Gene Berg like he was still alive and SCAT like they were the new kids on the block. He also though that my 26mm oil pump was stock size and that I should be using a 30mm pump.

In the end, I paid $210 to have some flashing and casting issues in the heads cleaned up and the ports matched. He also cleaned up the lifter bores and opened up the problematic oil passages in the case. He also checked the oil clearances on the rods and the main bearings. I don't know if the price was right or not b/c I don't have anything to compare it to but I wasn't unhappy.

Since then, the build has been mostly on hold. We f'd up a few things that kept setting us back and discouraging us.

But the biggest issue is that the Squareback became a 2nd job and I'm not exaggerating when I say we worked on it almost daily all summer and anywhere from 1-3 days a week from September until this month.

Right now, it's at Tony's shop where it's getting the clutch cable guide tube welded back on, an alignment, and a few other small things. I drove it out there last Friday and it felt good to take it on such a long drive without any issues other than the windshield wipers popping off a few times!

Now that we have time for the engine build, we're too spent. I've gotten it to a short block but the case needs clearancing for the rod bolts. We also decided to up it to a 1904 so the case needs work for the p/c's.

At this point, we just want a turnkey and I've been writing back and forth with Chico Performance and Gary Berg about using our parts to finish up the build but haven't gotten to the point of talking about the $$$ yet.

I think that's all for the update....I hope it wasn't too long and that everyone is doing well.
D-A-N

Postby Raj » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:26 am

Dan,

Glad to hear from you. I was wondering how you have been. I know its been a LONG winter.
Happy to hear that the square is up and running. Post some pics when you can. Good luck with the engine build and dont get discouraged. You have put too much time in this not to finish it. Your almost there bud!

Take Care
Raj

Deal with it.
Raj

Postby Markus » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:43 am

Dan, did i see you on the BQE in queens about a month ago in the snow? I passed you on the right, honked and waved in this:

westy2KB.jpg
westy2KB.jpg (175.34 KiB) Viewed 9420 times

anyway, cool beetle! What part of brooklyn are you in? I spend much of my time north (WB, GP) I used to have a music studio there.
1979 Deluxe Westfalia FI 2.0
Markus

First Name: MarkusK
Vehicle Year: 1979

Postby D-A-N » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:44 am

Yeah, that was definitely me.....driving like a granny with the flashers on in the middle lane of the BQE heading home to Greenpoint from Flushing. That was some bad driving weather! I was glad I saw you though b/c I almost NEVER see another ACVW even in the fairest weather, so to see you during a nasty snowstorm was encouraging. I've been in Greenpoint a long time but have never seen your bus. You get it recently?
D-A-N

Postby Markus » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:12 am

Haha, i was thinking the same thing.

I got it in september and it was not running on and off for most of the fall.

You must have yours garaged cuz I've been hanging in greenpoint for a while and dont remember seeing it. I lived there around 2004-2005.

A friend of mine is having an art opening at Dandelion wine tomorrow night. I think 6-9. If you are bored stop in and we will chat. Should be some free beer and/or wine. If you can make it, let me know and I will send you my cell#.

Markus
Markus

Postby D-A-N » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:51 am

I've been in Greenpoint since '98 but I only got the bug in 2010 which would explain why you didn't see it when you lived here. I've got a '69 Squareback too but it's relaxing on the west coast until spring.

No garage for me....both cars live on the street and we work on them there too. We got the Squareback in almost non-op condition and spent just short of a year getting it running well enough to realize we needed some transmission work and enough engine work to just get a rebuild. What did you have to do to get yours going?

My wife and I go to Dandelion Wine all the time...we live on Java Street, so we're right around the corner. I'm not sure if we'll be around tonight but go ahead and PM me your # if you want.
D-A-N

Postby Markus » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:48 am

I used to live on Java and Mcguinness. small world.

Bus work....not much to get running as I drove it home from Louisville after I bought it. I broke down twice on the way tho. The 2nd day of the trip I stupidly tried to do about 500 miles over mountains and shot out a plug in PA. It could have been loose or I could have stressed the engine. After that the breather hose got cracked/disconnected on the jersey T pike. Obv an easy fix but it I didnt realize it til after a tow.

When i finally got home, I did a tune up a bunch of odds and ends and it was ok until November when I had battery issues. That turned out to be the voltage regulator. Easy fix again. Its in a good place right now though I think there is a compression leak somewhere. Runs fine and starts right up on the coldest of mornings. Been getting me to work on time every morning. Does ok in the snow. I have a box of parts to be installed in the spring:

koni shocks
hot start relay
cyl head temp dash guage- The good one that ratwell suggests.
door cards
new antenna
shift bushings
etc

going to drop the engine and tranny this spring also (when i can ride a motorcycle to work) to do the shifter rod bushings and hockey stick unit (not sure what the technical name is), gas tank sender, see about a leak, go through the heads and maybe even deeper. we'll see. The valve seats on these are known to drop out.
I will be taking suggestions for machine shop work and head work. Local would be awesome....

anyway, if you ever get tired of the street and need a driveway and garage to do some work, short term, and a hand- holler at me. I'm curious about all these VWs. Im approx 3 miles from you.
Markus

Previous

Return to Weekend Warriors