Das Volks Vintage Volkswagen Gruppe

Long Island's source for the aircooled Volkswagen Hobby

Detailer

Have a quick question, not related to your project? Post in here!
Forum rules
This forum is specifically intended for you to post generic questions related to a repair.

If your question is specific to a project, or your VW please post in your VW's Garage Space.

Detailer

Postby rob711 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:50 pm

Anyone know a place I can take my bug, with it's minimally decent crap paint job, to be buffed, or polished, or compounded. I don't know what any of those process really are. I waxed it but the shine did not last. Then, after a few cold ones, while power washing my deck with all-purpose power wash soap. Cleaning cars seemed in the realm of all purpose. So now I don't think there's any wax and paint not look so good. I just left a message for a mobile guy, drive past his house on way to work. Wondering if anyone had a guy.
Thanks
Rob
rob711

First Name: rob
Vehicle Year: 1983
Model: Beetle

Re: Detailer

Postby ObnoxiousBlue » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:35 pm

Warren at Detailers Garage. He's in Bayside, but he's phenomenal.
He all runs a supply, and will sell you everything you need to do the job yourself.
I buy all my stuff from him.
If the all purpose cleaner you used wa too strong, you may have compromised the clear, or the surface of a single stage.
You'll need to strip the paint, wash, polish, seal then wax to bring back the paint.
You ain't need to clay, polishing should lift out any sediment in the paint surface.
If you decide to do it yourself, I can point out my favorite products.

http://shopdetailersgarage.com/index.php
ObnoxiousBlue
Site Admin

First Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 1977
Model: Bus

Postby rob711 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:28 am

Thanks Mike. I won't be doing this my self. Was hoping someone "had a guy". The paint was never in great shape but again, not knowing anything about car finishes I'm hoping someone can get something decent out of what's there.
rob711

Postby rob711 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:57 pm

125$ guys coming to my house. Sometime in the next two weeks. I'll get before and after pics
rob711

Postby ObnoxiousBlue » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:08 pm

For $125 I'm sure he just is going to wash, maybe clay or spot polish and wax. There's no way he's rubbing that whole car down three times over for that little.
I'm sure it will look cleaner, but don't expect the results to last if he is just using wax to get the shine. If he isn't doing something to color correct and seal the paint, as soon as the was wears off the paint will look dull again.
ObnoxiousBlue
Site Admin

First Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 1977
Model: Bus

Postby rob711 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:42 am

Awesome. Well beats driving it to bayside!
rob711

Return to Weekend Warriors