Das Volks Vintage Volkswagen Gruppe

Long Island's source for the aircooled Volkswagen Hobby

Carb/fuel issue

Post your up-keep and general repair routine in here.

Carb/fuel issue

Postby ObnoxiousBlue » Tue May 18, 2021 9:07 pm

Hey all. Having an idle issue with my 1964 Bug. The car is running stock all around, 1200, with the 28pict carb and a big cap distributor. The carb was rebuilt, as was the distributor, the pierburg fuel pump, and it has fresh plugs, wires, and a new 6V coil on it. The fuel filter is good and clear.

Recently the car has had an idling issue. It sounds weak, as if it wants to stall when left to idle. Tonight, I swapped out the distributor for two others and it performed the same each time. I went back to the big cap. We checked the timing with the vacuum off and the carb plugged and the strobe showed the mark right at the split in the case steady and perfect. With vacuum on the mark moved to its 10* BTDC position.

Then we checked the plugs, while brand new (2 weeks) they were fouling and it’s clear based on color and odor the car is running rich. In any case, we checked the gaps, cleaned the plugs, and looked to the fuel system.

Trying to steady the idle, we went to the only adjustable screw on the 28. We brought it all the way in until almost a stall. We then backed it out until we heard an increase in idle speed. The car never sounded confident. We continued past the faster idle until it slowed again. We then turned it right until it again sped, and slowed then came back a half turn to where it sounded “better but meh”

I tried to drive it and within the first hundred feet of acceleration you could feel it hesitating.

We took the carb out and pulled the lid off. The float was good, the valve moved up and down to stop fuel flow. It spit fuel when the linkage was pulled and there was no real signs of sediment or dirt.

I’m at a loss here. Tomorrow I will get carb cleaner and clean the carb anyway but can someone point me to what I may be missing here?
ObnoxiousBlue
Site Admin

First Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 1964
Model: Beetle

Re: Carb/fuel issue

Postby Tom » Wed May 19, 2021 7:30 am

Sounds like you went through the whole fuel and carb thing, I would change the points, rotor and condenser to see if it made a difference. Not a lot of time or money to rule it out.
I'm not an air cooled snob , I like them all !

Brown wrote:Tom is right!
Tom

First Name: Tom

Postby ObnoxiousBlue » Wed May 19, 2021 8:37 am

Glen just did my distributor... Points, rotor, and condenser are all new too. I'm pulling my hair out.
Sending it to Gerhardts in Huntington later today... It's a little VW shop, he always has 914's out front so he should be able to help.
Part of me is still suspect of ignition timing, because it requires user-input.
Was hoping to get to Venetian tonight but I may not make it depending on when I have the car towed.
ObnoxiousBlue
Site Admin

First Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 1964
Model: Beetle

Postby Glenn » Wed May 19, 2021 2:39 pm

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine

"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

iRide4Sue.org Please Donate to fight Cancer. $46,334 raised in 2021 so far
Glenn