How can we improve the site?
ObnoxiousBlue
Site Admin
First Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 1964
Model: Beetle

2024 Site Update

Post by ObnoxiousBlue »

It’s been literally years since I’ve put any effort to the site, and it shows. As the Gruppe got smaller and we all got older it was less and less important to keep up with the Joneses and the forum became more of a group text message for us all to keep in touch and maintain some involvement with one another.

With Gridlock's success and enough time between the clash-of-clans back in '06, it seems that I may have misjudged the lack of involvement here for lack of interest, and my own hesitation in upgrading or updating the website.

With some folks making a return to the VW hobby, some new faces, and some new events I have in the works I think it is time to give DasVolks the facelift it's been needing for a long while. I spent a good while last night upgrading the forum to the newest version; but there is still work to be done. In the almost 18 years since we started here we've amassed a ton of stuff, links, photos, and "junk" that requires a delicate pruning so we don't lose anything we can't replace. In the end, you may see some old threads or categories disappear in order to scale down the size of the database the forum runs on and ultimately make it easier for me to chop up and transfer onto the newest version of phpbb - to put it simply, the board is just too fat to do anything or move anywhere as it sits now.

Over the next few days you may notice intermittent outages here, just be patient and ride it out. At last, I would also suggest that - if you are looking specifically for the forum - it now lives at dasvolks.com/forum and a new home page will be replacing the landing at dasvolks.com within a short bit.

Mike
elrockk
First Name: Gene
Vehicle Year: 1971

Re: 2024 Site Update

Post by elrockk »

nice
Raj

Post by Raj »

Scared me.....! but very cool
Glenn wrote:I have to say, this "gruppe" is so much more than just a car club.
MrBreeze wrote: This is the DVG board. The threads flow as they flow.
Deal with it.
ObnoxiousBlue
Site Admin

Post by ObnoxiousBlue »

Guys, a little help here would be huge...

I need to prune down the size of the board - 10 years in we just have so much stuff in order for me to do what we need, I would need to chop it up (conservatively) into about 5 - 6 still very large files.

There are some threads I simply don't want to lose - Ed's come to mind, but so too do our build threads, some of the events like Air Raid, and the Carnage thread; just stuff that is more than our typical "banter."

If there is a specific thread you want me to preserve, please drop a link to it in here so I can intentionally save it.

Similarly, we'll probably lose a few accounts - specifically those who haven't ever posted or folks who maybe posted one or two times and then disappeared.
MrBreeze
Vehicle Year: 1977
Model: Bus

Post by MrBreeze »

My Strange thread
This is the DVG forum. We do not tell people how to post here. Go play in the kiddie pool if you don't like it.
ObnoxiousBlue
Site Admin

Post by ObnoxiousBlue »

MrBreeze wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:40 pm My Strange thread
It's safe...

I also went back through the old event threads - and saved any photos which weren't marked by photobucket.
Once things here are fixed, I'll put an album up somewhere so we don't lose them.
MrBreeze
Vehicle Year: 1977
Model: Bus

Post by MrBreeze »

Thanks for the work you did on the site, Mike. Appreciate y'all
This is the DVG forum. We do not tell people how to post here. Go play in the kiddie pool if you don't like it.
ObnoxiousBlue
Site Admin

Post by ObnoxiousBlue »

Thanks Rob. It needs more work, but my ADHD impulse seemingly passed for now. :lol:
No, but really. I have some more to do and want to give the site its own identity - right now it’s just sporting a copy of what I have on my other site for play.
Raj

Post by Raj »

Thank you Mike!
Glenn wrote:I have to say, this "gruppe" is so much more than just a car club.
MrBreeze wrote: This is the DVG board. The threads flow as they flow.
Deal with it.